Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Super Bowl Indicator

OK- I realize that I am a bit of a Jonny come lately with my commentary on the outcome of the super bowl. For those who don’t know what I am talking about, please go buy a copy of Barron’s Dictionary of Financial Terms and look up the Super Bowl Indicator. Sorry, I don’t have time to explain it.

I have seen all kinds of chatter this year from people who know the legend and those who don’t. Anyhow, here is the bottom line: It doesn’t matter!!! Are all the talking heads listening? IT DOESN’T MATTER!!! The funniest thing is that if you know the indicator and all the lore that surrounds it, you also know that according to the legend, the Super Bowl didn’t determine the posture for the coming year. When the semifinals were over, the fate of the market was sealed. Both teams that played in the big game last Sunday are teams that, if victorious, will cause the market to rise in 2007. So again, it doesn’t matter. Oh, and even if it did matter, it still doesn’t matter. Indicators are right until they are wrong.

Nothing takes the place of price trend in the major indices! I will not apologize for it. Watch the market move and trade accordingly. I am so very tired of listening to people pontificate on market internals. Moreover, it means nothing - or did I say that already?

Listen! Dwellers of the Trade-o-sphere! When all of my bullish trades get stopped out, I will rethink my posture. For now, let us just relax and ignore the noise.

No comments: